EDoom for Symbian OS: Port of Doom to Symbian OS
Port of EDoom
to the SonyEricsson P800/P900
(Symbian OS version 7
This time the port is more complete, game safe/load works, it has 8 channel
sound support and can be configured to either rotate the screen to the left
- Latest version of EDoom
for the P800/P900 is 1.4. Download the .SIS file and install it on the
P800/P900 as per normal. Also read the comments below on WAD files.
- What's new in 1.4:
- Rebuilt EDoom with version 1.2 of ECompXL.
- What's new in 1.3:
- Fixed crash when displaying the map
- What's new in 1.2:
- Fixed crash ("E32USER-CBASE Reason number 42")
when using the vibrator
- Fixed toolbar bitmap corruption
- Fixed "access denied" error during uninstallation. Sometimes you can still
get an "In use" error; just reboot and retry the uninstall.
- What's new in 1.1:
- Updated video routines for P900 (64K rather than 4K colors)
- Added vibrator support (configurable option from within Doom)
- EDoom will automatically close all running Apps before starting
Doom to free up memory
- Added bigger icon for App Launcher
- Latest source code
is released under the GNU General
Public License (GPL).
To build from source do this:
- Unzip the EDoom source code.
- Change directory to \doom\doomapp\group
and build the project edoom.
- Change directory to \doom\epoc\group
and build the project doom.
Just as for EDoom for the Psion devices
P800/P900 version of EDoom doesn't come with the original WAD files. Again,
doom1.wad and doom3.wad is probably what't you're after. So, be creative! Buy a
copy of Doom, search for them on the net or "borrow" them from your Dad
(afterall, Doom is pretty old ;-)). Essentially I don't care as long as you're
going to mail me asking for a copy.
Once you have them, store them on the P800/P900 in the folder called
No project without screenshots nowadays, so here goes. This is the
from which you start EDoom.
When started you get the EDoom's splash screen
Choose single player game from the menu and you get here
EDoom is 320x200 and you may configure it
to be rotated to
either the left or the right.You can also save & load games; when saving a game,
you can use the on-screen virtual keyboard
alpha-blended with the Doom scene.
Game control was one of the... let's call it challanging aspects of porting
EDoom to the P800/P900 ;-). Here's what I've settled for in the end:
- Navigation: Use the
stylus as an on screen joystick.
The rules are:
- Move the stylus up / down to go forwards / backwards.
- Move the stylus left / right to turn left / right.
- When moving left / right at the same time as forwards /
backwards the left / right delta movement is done in smaller increments to
- Strafe left / right when moving forwards / backwards to make a
big turn in that direction.
- Use/Open door:
- Strafe left/right:
Jog dial up/down.
- Look up/down:
Jog dial left/right.
Jog dial inwards.
- Other: Use the on-screen
virtual keyboard for alpha-numeric input when needed (for example when loading
/ saving a game). Commonly used keys like ENTER, ESC, Y and N, and 1-6
for switching weapons are also included on the toolbar.
- Configuration: You can
change the key / button assignments as per normal via the menu (Options ->
Setup Controls). The P800/P900 specific keys have been mapped to keys A-G.