EMame for Symbian OS: Port of Mame to Symbian OS
Port of EMame
to the SonyEricsson P800/P900
(Symbian OS version 7
- Latest version of EMame
for the P800/P900 is 1.2. This version supports over a thousand games -
here's the gamelist and
- What's new in 1.2:
- Rebuilt EMame with version 1.2 of ECompXL.
- What's new in 1.1
- Updated video routines for P900 (64K rather than 4K colors)
- Updated audio buffering - this will hopefully get rid of some squeeks
- Added bigger icon for App Launcher
- Latest source code is released under the
GNU General Public License (GPL). To build from source
- Install ECompXL (this is mandatory, EMame for the P800/P900
cannot be built without it).
- Download X-mame
version 37b7.1 and unzip it in your development environment. Afterwards, rename the
xmame-0.37b7.1 topdirectory to mame.
- Unzip the EMame source code. Note that this will overwrite (or
better said patch) a handfull of xmame source files in mame\src.
- Change directory to mame\src\epoc\group\scripts
and issue the command armiurel
for a target build.
Just as for EMame for Psion EPOC32
P800/P900 version of EMame doesn't come with ROM images either. Point
your browser at www.mame.dk
what ROMs are needed for a particular game. Once you know the name of
the ZIP files you need, you'll find that most of them are just a google
search away. ;-)
Store the zip files (still compressed) on the P800/P900 in the folder
; you may store them either
on the internal phone memory or on the memory stick.
to take some pictures with my digital camera, but as
you can see I have more knowledge of programming than photography.
Anyway, here's what the play list
(observe the donkey-kong wallpaper); here's pacman
and here's galaxian
. Just for the fun of it,
here's what the help screen
(and yes, those are truetype fonts ;-)).
People have asked how to actually play MAME games on a device like the
P800/P900. Well, it's all explained in EMame's online help, but for
those of you who don't have a P800/P900 (yet), here goes:.
- Navigation: Use the stylus as an on screen joystick.
When moving the stylus on screen, EMame generates move events for that direction.
If, after moving, you keep the stylus down EMame will keep generating events for
the last direction you've moved to.
- Button 1: Jogdial up and down both map to Button 1.
Typically button 1 is used for shooting; if so,then you achieve the best result
by repeatedly scrolling up and down with the jog dial.
- Button 2: Jogdial left, right and inwards all map
to Button 2.
- Insert Coins: Just like a normal arcade machine, you have to insert
coins before playing a game. When the game displays its splash screen, use the
Camera Button to insert coins.
- Start Button: After inserting a couple of coins, press the Browser Button
to start the game.
- Quit: During the game press the power button to quit the game.
- Pause: During the game close the flip to pause the game. You can
resume it by opening the flip and clicking on the EMame entry from the applications
list. EMame then shows you a dialog from which you can stop or resume
- OK: When prompted to press OK during the startup of a game, you may
press any key for O and any key for K.